The Department of Journalism in the College of Arts was organized in 1914
Will H. Mayes, editor of the Brownwood Bulletin for 20 years, became the first professor of journalism. Other faculty in the new department included B.O. Brown, Vaughan Bryant and B.W. Collins.
The School of Communication was organized in 1966, bringing together four related departments: speech, journalism, advertising and radio-television-film.
Forerunner of the Texan was the Alcalde, founded in the winter of 1895-1896 by L. E. Hill and C.D. Oldright, joint owners, editors, and business managers. In the fall of 1897, Hill sold the Alcalde to John O. Phillips, who changed its name to the Ranger, which he published until June 1900.
In 1898-1899, a rival paper, the Calendar, appeared. When founder R.W. Wortham moved on, the paper was taken over by H.Lee Borden, father of the first chancellor of the University. E.E. Witt and L.L. Featherstone were its editors.
The 1901-1902 Texan staff
Since the University couldn't support two newspapers, they merged, and in October 1900, the Texan first appeared. The Student's Association took over the publication in 1905. Fritz G. Lanham, son of a governor and later a congressman from the Fort Worth area, became the first editor-in-chief of the Texan.
For nearly a hundred years, the Texan has ranked among the best college newspapers. It was a weekly publication from 1900 to 1907, when it became semi-weekly. In the fall of 1913, it became known as the Daily Texan. In 1921, Texas Student Publications, Inc., was created and placed in charge of all student publications. When the corporation charter expired in 1971, a trust was formed. Student editors, generally noted for their independence and irreverence, have not always been on the best terms with University administrators.
The Blunderbuss, an unauthorized student publication, first appeared on campus on April 1, 1914. The first edition left most faculty members feeling indifferent, but Helen Mary Kirby seized 250 copies.
After the appearance of the paper, the Faculty Discipline Committee suspended four prominent students for the remainder of the term, including the editor and managing editor of the Daily Texan.
The Texas Ranger began publication as a student humor magazine in the fall of 1923. After a hectic existence and a number of national awards, it finally stopped publication in 1972. Shown here is Bob Burns, managing editor in 1966, selling the current issue.
Alumni of Note
Editor of the Daily Texan in 1927 and former city editor of the New York Herald-Tribune, became an adjunct professor of journalism at the university in1933.
Olin E. Hinkle
Became an instructor of speech in 1928 when he completed the B.B.A. degree. He trained a legion of debaters.
Thomas A. Rousse
Became associate professor of journalism in 1946 and retired as professor in 1972.
B.B.A., 1943, Cactus editor, became governor of Texas.
B.A., 1950, editor of the Daily Texan, became the editor and publisher of the Texas Observer and author of Our Invaded Universities.
B.A., 1956, crusading editor of the Daily Texan, became the youngest editor ever of Harper's Magazine and author of several best sellers.