Welcome to the Graduate Program
The Journalism and Media graduate program at The University of Texas at Austin is among the premier graduate programs in the country. It offers three distinct degrees: a Ph.D. degree, a Master's Research and Theory degree, and a Journalism Pro-track Master's degree.
The doctoral program explores influential theories and contemporary topics in journalism and media, with strong quantitative and qualitative research methods training. Students entering the 2021 Ph.D. program must complete five semesters of coursework, one semester for preparing for comprehensive exams and a research proposal, and their dissertation in the final, fourth year. Learn more.
The MA Research and Theory program is a two-year program that extends students’ depth in communications and media research literature and provides opportunities to deepen subject matter expertise.
We've designed the Professional M.A. to provide or extend professional training for people who desire to work in the fields of making media, including reporters, photojournalists, and storytellers in various media forms.
Work with our award-winning faculty.
Collaborate with our students.
Recent notable doctoral graduates
- Margaret Yee Man Ng (Spring 2018), University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Lourdes Cueva Chacon (Summer 2020), San Diego State
- Paromita Pain (Fall 2018), Nevada @ Reno
- Avery Holton (Fall 2013), Utah
- Danielle Kilgo (Summer 2017), Minnesota
- Kyser Lough (Summer 2019), Georgia
- Magdalena Saldaña (Fall 2017), Universidad Católica de Chile
- Mark Coddington (Summer 2015), Washington & Lee
- Seth Lewis (Summer 2010), Oregon
- Rachel Mourão, Michigan State
- Saif Shahin (Summer 2017), American
- Krishnan Vasudevan (Summer 2017), Maryland